Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Scaramantic discovery

Alain and I went to South Africa for Christmas last year. As usual, before we left, I returned all the books, DVDs etc that I had borrowed from people as I am always paranoid that the plane will explode and... well, I don't really want to die not having returned other peoples' property to them.

I mentioned this to one of my colleagues who told me that I was definitely not Italian to which I proudly replied: 'I am not in the slightest bit scaramantic!'*

To my chagrin, I have since discovered that I do have (at least) one scaramantic quirk. While on holiday, I lost a rather expensive work-related item which had to be replaced on my return. My boss emailed me to tell me that I should be careful not to lose it. When I read this email I had the overwhelming (and obviously irrational) feeling that her telling me this had increased the probability that the replacement would be lost in the near future.

........................................................................
*The reply to this statement was quite amusing, but perhaps not suitable for a mixed audience. I am dying to tell you - please email me and I will fill you in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home