Sunday, October 15, 2006

Piano apologetics

What are the benefits of playing the piano?

Because this is the type of question that might be the topic of an essay on why children should be encouraged to learn to play a musical instrument, it is tempting to think of it as being answered-already. But why should I continue to practice?

These are the ideas that come to mind:

  • playing Bach, Mozart or Debussy enables my mind to relax so that I can think through the day without getting too involved (intellectually/emotionally) in the memories
  • playing Beethoven or Chopin allows me to express my emotions and this process of self-expression helps to relieve stress
  • a beautiful melody is aesthetically pleasing
  • intellectually or technically challenging pieces can be a form of escape
  • maintaining my technique and ability to sightread keeps me in a state of readiness for a time when music may play a larger role in my working or social life

At the moment, I am playing 'Dr Gradus ad Parnassum' from Debussy's Children's Corner Suite in the mornings. It is like a meditation with an invitation to 'come outside and play' at the end and puts me in a really good mood!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alain Dekker said...

Playing the piano is about as good an addition to our culture as it gets. This blogger loves his wife's playing - it brings him a lot of joy. The element of stress relieving and escape applies just as well to the listener :o)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home